Monday, April 13, 2009

Sometimes I wonder . . .

Growing up in a church has shaped me, instilling me with beliefs, morals and a sense of belonging. I look back and think, who would I have become if I knew and believed what I believe now? Would I have fallen into the grasp of the partiers, and pot heads of the town. Would I have still said no to those first cigarettes. Truth be told I don't really know, and never will. The only question I can answer is this. Would I say no now? In most cases yes, I would answer no. On the other hand I now drink, I have had the occasional cigar or cigarette, but I know not to abuse those things. The church instilled just enough fear in me to help me realize the dangers and idiocy of these things. I know that I won't go to hell if I smoke or drink but I know that if I abuse them that my odds of living longer and healthier on this glorious planet will shrink drastically. I love my world, I love being able to gaze up into the sky and dream of showing my son Orion's belt. I love living without fear of a God, being able to make my choices on my own, without the influence of a religion. Choices based on my family and myself, based on my surroundings, my country and the world we all inhabit. The fact is, we are all that there is and ever will be, so take care of your family, yourself and this planet we all call home.

No comments: